- 2 cups GF Flour Mix
- 2 Tsp. Xanthan Gum
- Scant Tsp. Salt
- 1 Tbsp. Dry Yeast
- 1 Egg plus 1 Egg White
- 1/2 Tsp. Vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. Vegetable Oil
- 2 Tbsp. Honey
- 3/4 Cup Warm Water
- Up to 1/3 Cup Sweet Rice Flour or Rice Flour for mixing
In a bowl, place flour, xanthan gum, salt, sugar and yeast. Blend ingredients. In a separate bowl, whisk the egg and egg white slightly with the vinegar. Add oil, honey, and water. Pour into the flour mix and beat on high for 4 minutes. This should form a dough ball. If needed, all 1 tbsp of rice flour until the dough sticks together in a ball.
Prepare 2 cookie sheets by spraying with vegetable oil and sprinkling lightly with cornmeal. Form bagels by dividing dough into 8 (or 12) pieces. Working with oiled hands, roll into balls larger than golf balls but smaller than tennis balls. Flaetten the balls to about 1/2" thick. Creak the hole by poking a figer through the center and enlarging. Place on cookie sheet, cover with plastic wrap, and let rise until they are puffy. Once risen, preheat oven to 425 F.
In a large pan, bring 3 inches of water plus 1 tsp. sugar to a boil. Drop in bagles, 4 at a time. Cook 1 minute, turning at 30 seconds. Drain and replace on cookie sheet. Bake 20 minutes.
Vegan & Gluten-Free Crackers
- 1/2 cup brown rice flour*
- 1/2 cup whole almonds*, ground into flour (or use 3/4 cup almond flour)
- 2 tbsp ground flax
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp dried rosemary
- Scant 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds/li>
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 tsp olive oil
- 1. Preheat oven to 350F and line a baking sheet with parchment. In a high-speed blender or processor, grind almonds into a flour. Do not over process or almonds will release oils. Sift flour before using to remove larger pieces. OR you can use store-bought almond flour.
- 2. In a large bowl, mix together the dry ingredients. Add wet ingredients and mix well with spoon. Knead dough with hands until it comes together. Shape into a ball.
- 3. Place ball of dough on parchment paper or a non-stick mat. Roll out dough until it's about 1/8th inch thick, or as thin as you can get it without ripping. With a pastry wheel or pizza slicer, slice into crackers.
- 4. Bake at 350F for 18-20 minutes until slightly golden in colour. I baked mine about 18 mins. and next time I will bake them for a couple mins. longer to get them crisper.
- 5. Cool on baking sheet for 10 mins. Store in air-tight container once fully cool.
*Note: Other flours might work in substitution for brown rice flour and almond flour, although keep in mind the flavour will change.